Medusa - The Story Behind the Halloween Figure

It has always been my dream to wear a Medusa costume. However, the serpent hair and the scary image of Medusa have given me doubts. I am used to those sweet feminine costumes of princesses and other maiden characters during Halloween and wearing a Medusa would probably make a very new image out of me. That is why I have researched about Medusa and how she has come up with the hissing hair.


As I have gone through my research, I have learned that Medusa was not totally hideous all her life. According to the legend, she used to be very beautiful with hair as soft as a silk. She is one of the Gorgon sisters, a clan who is half mortal and immortal during those times. She has an image of a virginal young girl who serves as a priestess in the temple of Athena.


Because of her beauty, Poseidon, the god of the sea, was in awe with her. He had pursued Medusa to the point that he had seduced her. Some versions of the myth said that Medusa seduced him, while other versions have said that Poseidon raped Medusa. Whichever story really happened, the seduction or raping happened inside the temple of Athena. This has angered the goddess and had turned the Gorgon sister into a monster. The silky hair was gone and was replaced by snakes.


The story sounds so sad. The punishment was way too cruel. Worse, the story goes that Medusa turns people into stone with her gaze. This has made her a real monster. She was slain by the Hero Perseus and he became a legend while Medusa remained as a hideous monster, an antagonist.


That is how the story goes. If I were the myth makers, I would have made it into a romantic story making Perseus a lover than a monster-killer.


If you don't have a Medusa costume yet? Check these Sexy Medusa Costume or if you are more rounded in the middle, try these Plus Size Medusa Dresses.


 




>
>